As a kid , 'the making of chakli' have always fascinated me. I've been making it since decades,though not perfect,but tastewise it has always tasted good.I like to try new recipe and this time I tried my hands in making wheat chakli.I found the recipe in the chakli press pack of Maruthi Brand,a small booklet with few good recipe's.The procedure was very easy and I could press chakli with ease.And the final product was super crisp and light.This is a must try recipe.I modified the recipe slightly.I have tried to explain the recipe in detail.
Wheat flour - 250 g /2 cups
Black sesame seeds -1 tsp
Chilly powder - 1tsp or to taste
Butter -2 tbsp
Coconut milk - 5 tbsp
Water - as much need to make the dough(1/4 cup approx)
Salt - to taste( 1 1/2 tsp approx)
Coconut oil - to deep fry
- Transfer the wheat flour in a clean muslin cloth and tie it.
- Place it in a bowl.
- Add some water in the pressure cooker and place the bowl in it.
- Don't let the water enter inside the bowl.
- Close the lid and wait for the pressure to start.
- Once the pressure starts,lower the flame and steam for 20 minutes approx.
- Do not put the whistle.
- You may steam in the steamer also.
- Once done,take the bowl out,untie the cloth and slowly loosen the flour with a ladle or use your hands to break any lumps.
- Sieve the mixture in a mixing bowl.
- Add chilly powder,butter,sesame seeds and coconut milk.
- Add water few tbsp at a time and make a soft dough until all the dough combines together without sticking the bowl.
- Dont add all the water at once.
- Once the dough is done,fill the dough in the chakli press.
- I pressed the chakli's in the parchment paper.
- You may press it in some clean paper sheets also.
- Make 5,6 cutouts of parchment paper and press 1 each in the cutout.
- Heat oil and drop the chakli one at a time carefully.
- Roast it until crisp and light adjusting the flame.
- Once cooled store it in the airtight container.