This is one of my favourite pickle which I am sharing with you all today.My son Pratham had plucked a big batch of bimbul /sorrel fruit which had cropped in our patch and it striked me to prepare this pickle. My better half bought fresh store bought bittergourd and I prepared this pickle the same day. Amma helped and instructed me on the entire pickle procedure and the recipe was borrowed from Santoshi.I have been waiting to share this recipe since a long time but somehow it skipped....This pickle is a kind of sweet,sour,spicy and slightly bitterish curry . One can hardly sense the bitter taste. Karathe means bittergourd or karela.We prepared the pickle with the eye measurements,so below is the approximate measurement..But I feel this will work best....Here is the link to those who want to know about bimbul .
Ingredients to be roasted:
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds -1 tsp
Urad dal - 1tsp
Byadgi chilly -8-10(roasted in a tsp of oil)
Hing paste - a generous pinch
Bittergourd - 2 (Around 2 cups chopped)
Bimbul /sorrel fruit - 2 cups
Jaggery - 2 cups (more or less)
Salt - to taste
- Dry roast mustard seeds until it splutters on low flame.
- Add coriander seeds,urad dal,cumin seeds and roast further.
- Add hing and roast .
- Add roasted chilly.
- Cool the roasted ingredients.
- Powder chilly at first and add the rest of the roasted ingredients.
- Powder it with chilly to a fine powder.
- Keep it ready.
- Scrape the bitter gourd slightly and cut it into two lengthwise.
- Cut into small chunks and wash it well.
- Wash the bimbul and cut it into two.
- Take a pressure cooker add bittergourd,bimbul,salt to taste and jaggery.
- Add water, take 1 whistle and switch off the flame.
- Add the roasted powder,check salt and keep it on high flame.
- Reduce the gravy and make it thick.
- Cool it,store it in airtight container and refrigerate until further use.
Labels: Konkani, Pickle