Long time back I had posted coorg chicken .This time I adapted the recipe from zee Kannada cookery show.The main twist in the recipe is 'Kachampuli' paste which is also known as Coorg vinegar which is added in the final stage but I could not arrange it and I substituted it with our very own South Indian vinegar 'tamarind'.
Chicken -1 kg
Garlic - 5-6,crushed and chopped
Ginger - 1" ,crushed and chopped
Red chilly powder - 2 tbsp or more
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Pepper powder -1/2 tsp
Tamarind paste - 1/2 tsp (original recipe calls for kachampuli)
Oil - 2-3 tbsp
Coriander leaves -2 tbsp,chopped
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions until brown in colour
- Add crushed and chopped ginger garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add chicken,turmeric powder,salt to taste and cook until 3/4th.
- In another pan,dry roast all powders until it changes it colour in low flame.
- Roasting of powders is done for the flavour and colour.
- Ensure that it doesn't burn.
- Add this roasted powder to the cooked chicken and mix it well.
- Add salt if required,tamarind pulp and cook the chicken completely.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves.