Ingredients for the masala:
Coconut - 1 cup
Cumin seeds -1/4 tsp
Green chilly - 6-7
Coriander leaves - 1 cup or handful
Cinnamon - 1/2 "
Chicken -1 kg
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1tsp
Oil -1 tbsp
Chicken masala powder - 1-2 tbsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder -1/4 tsp(I did not add)
Water -1 cup approx
Butter -2 tbsp
Coriander leaves - 3 tbsp,chopped
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned under the list of 'masala' to a fine paste.
- Heat ghee and oil in a pan or cooker and saute onions until translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell disappears.
- Add ground masala and saute for few minutes or until raw smell goes.
- Add chopped tomatoes,all the powders,salt to taste,water.
- Take exactly 1 whistle and switch off the flame or cook it in low flame until done if you are cooking in a vessel.
- Add butter to the curry and mix it well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- These are the few points which Aunt forgot to mention while she gave me the recipe for the first time and she mentioned it during the next visit and told me the variations.
- You may dry roast all the masala ingredients except coriander leaves and grind it to a paste.
- However I ground without roasting.
- You may also add mint leaves while grinding.(no sauteing)
- You may use only oil and ignore ghee.
- Butter is added for the extra flavour.
- You may also dry roast few cashewnuts and almonds, make a paste and add it to the curry to make it rich.