This is one of the commonly prepared dal at our place prepared with slight variations each time.This is one of the tastiest dal which goes well with chapathi,puri,jeera rice,dosa etc.Dal fry is also one of the comfort food.At times I prepare this only with tur dal and sometimes with mixed lentils like chana dal,moong dal,masoor dal etc.Again ,I had shot 'dal' pictures several times and could not share the recipe for the reasons unknown....Stay tuned for more interesting recipes.
Tur dal /Split pigeon peas -1 cup
Masoor dal /pink lentil -1/4 cup
Onion -1,chopped finely
Garlic -5 cloves,chopped finely
Tomato -1 chopped,finely
Chilly powder -1/4 tsp (optional)
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder -1 /4 tsp
Butter -2 tbsp
Green chilly -2,chopped finely
Kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves -1tsp
Oil -1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Coriander leaves -2 tbsp,chopped
Cheese -1 grated
Ingredients to temper:
Byadgi chilly or short chilly -2
Cashewnuts -5-6 ,broken
Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Wash and cook both the dals in cooker with oil and turmeric powder.
- Take a pan,heat butter(reserve a tsp),saute onions and garlic until raw smell goes.
- Add green chillies,tomato,chilly powder,garam masala powder.
- Add cooked dal,salt to taste and take a boil.
- Add crushed kasuri methi and mix it well.
- Heat a tsp of butter and saute cashewnuts,cumin seeds and byadgi chilly.
- Season it to the dal.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and top it with grated cheese.
- Serve it hot with roti or rice.