The original recipe of egg green masala biryani was of prawn biryani's.I had noted this recipe from my fb friend Reshma Chander via another fb friend Preethi M Rao.The recipe was very appealing so was the taste.Biryani's are always salivating.For preparing the biryani rice I followed my usual method in the electric cooker . My curry became little spicy so I added few cashewnut and raisin paste but that is optional.I modified the recipe as per my needs.The idea of roasting the eggs was given by my daughter.Adjust the ghee and spice accordingly.Though the recipe looks lengthy don't go by the length,this is only because I have added pictures stepwise and explained in detail.You may prepare the same recipe with the prawns .
Ingredients for the rice:
Basmathi Rice -2 cups(India Gate)
Water - 4 cups
Star anise -1
Ghee -3 tbsp approx
Saffron - few strands diluted in 3 tbsp milk
Salt - to taste
Ingredients for the curry:
Eggs -12,boiled,peeled,put some gashes
Ghee -3- 4 tbsp
Cashewnuts or almonds-10-12
Ingredients for the green masala:
Green chillies -6 (I added 10 )
Coriander seeds -2 tbsp
Tamarind - marble sized
Coriander leaves - 1 bunch
Mint leaves -10 stalks
Khus khus - 1 tbsp(dry roast or microwave for a minute)
Cardamom - 3
Cloves - 3
Pepper - few
Fennel - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds -1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp (I forgot to add)
For the garnish:
Fried onions -1 cup or more(slice and deep fry in oil until red in colour and crisp)
Dry fruits - cashewnuts and raisin handful ,roasted in ghee
Chopped coriander leaves -3 tbsp,chopped finely
Mint leaves - few,chopped finely
Biryani essence or kewra essence or rose water - few drops (Optional)
Ghee -2 tbsp(optional)
Method for the rice:
- Take an electric rice cooker,grease the plate and the base of the vessel with a tbsp of ghee,add washed and soaked rice.
- Add 4 cups of water,salt to taste,2 -3 tbsp ghee and whole spices.
- Dilute saffron in milk and keep it ready.
- Once the rice is 3/4 cooked spread half of saffron milk over the rice but don't mix it.
- You may also prepare the rice in a normal way on the flame until the rice gets just cooked.
- Once the rice is done use a fork and separate the grains delicately and cool it.
- Keep it aside.
Method for the curry:
- Grind the ingredients mentioned under the 'green masala' list to a fine paste.
- Marinate few tbsp of the masala to the eggs for few minutes adding little salt.
- Meanwhile slice the onions and chop the tomatoes.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee in a pan and roast the marinated eggs for 7-8 minutes.
- Keep it aside.
- Do the paste of cashewnuts and raisins adding little water.
- Heat the remaining ghee and saute onions until light brown in colour.
- Add the green masala paste and saute until the raw smell disappears and the oil leaves the sides.
- Add the tomatoes and saute further.
- Add the roasted eggs,salt to taste and little water.
- Cook it for sometime until the gravy turns thick.
- Finally add the paste of cashewnuts and raisins,mix it well.
- Add dry fruit paste is optional.
- Keep the gravy ready.
How to proceed:
- I gave dum in 2 batches,one batch in microwave and 1 batch in o.t.g (normal oven).
- Take a borosil bowl for microwave / baking tin for o.t.g.
- Grease it with a tbsp of ghee if required.
- Add a layer of rice or gravy first.
- Repeat the process alternatively .
- Final layer must be of rice.
- Garnish with fried onions,dry fruits,coriander and mint leaves.
- Drizzle some essence.
- You may also add a tbsp of ghee again.
- Cover it with cling film for microwave /aluminium foil for o.t.g method.
- Give it dum for 7-8 minutes.