I first tasted this Pulao when Santoshi had prepared it sometime back .I liked the mild taste in the pulao and I decided this is a must recipe to be tried and to be shared in the space.Yakhni sounds totally a non vegetarian dish and I was surprised to know it was a pure vegetarian dish.The pulao came out perfectly great with each grain separated and veggies perfectly cooked just the way it had to be.I have added few extra ingredients in the recipe plus lot of birista.Everyday is a learning process and I believe it is never ending.
Recipe adapted from :vegrecipesofindia
Ingredients for the bouquet garni:
Caraway seeds-1/2 tbsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Cloves - 2-3
Cinnamon -2 "
Nutmeg -1/4 tsp
Chopped Ginger- garlic- 1/2 tbsp
Ingredients for the veg yakhni:
Chopped vegetables - 2 cups,(cauliflower,carrot,beans,peas)
Water - 5 cups
Salt - to taste
Ingredients for the pulao:
Rice - 2 cups,soaked for 20 minutes
Ghee - 3-4 tbsp
Caraway seeds (shahi jeera)-1 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1"
Cardamom - 3-4
Curds -1 cup
For the garnish :
Onions -3-4 deep fried also known as birista
Mint leaves - 1/2 cup,fried
Cashewnuts - Handful,roasted in ghee
Raisins - handful,roasted
Bread croutons -1/2 cup (Optional)
Method for Yakhni:
- Tie all the ingredients mentioned under 'Bouquet garni' in a muslin cloth .
- Heat 5 cups of water in a vessel,add vegetables,salt to taste and bouquet garni.
- Cook it until half cooked,squeeze the bouquet garni and discard it.
- Strain the stock and keep it aside.
- This is vegetable Yakhni which is nothing but vegetable stock/broth.
Method for Pulao:
- Heat ghee in a pan,sizzle caraway seeds
- Add onions and fry until brown in colour.
- Add all the spices along with the ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell disappears.
- Add half cooked vegetables,curds and give it a mix.
- Add drained rice,4 cups of broth,salt if required and mix it well.
- Cook it on low flame without disturbing it for 15 - 20 minutes until it gets cooked.
- Garnish Yakhni Pulao with mint leaves,fried onions and cashewnuts.
- I have also added some fried bread croutons.
- Serve it hot with raita.