I first tasted Pesarattu in my relative's house may be 15- 16 years back and I liked it so much I would prepare it often.One fine day for the reasons unknown I stopped preparing it and had forgotten about it completely.Yesterday while I was watching the cookery show 'Oggarane Dabbi' this recipe was demonstrated and I decided to prepare it for the next day's breakfast .Pesarattu is an Andhra style dosa.
My recipe is almost similar to this recipe but the only extra addition to this recipe is 'rice' which gives a crispy texture.We do not have to ferment the Pesarattu batter.I prepared red chutney which complimented well with the dosa and again I adapted the recipe from the same show.We can have the dosa on its own since it is flavoured with ginger and green chillies.The chutney recipe given below can be prepared with idli,masala dosa etc.
Ingredients for the dosa:
Moong / Whole Green gram - 1 cup
Dosa rice -1 /4 cup
Ginger -1 "
Green chillies -3-4
Salt - to taste
Onions -3,chopped finely to garnish
Method for the dosa:
- Soak whole moong and rice together overnight or for 2-3 hours.
- Next morning wash it well and grind it to a fine paste with ginger and green chillies.
- The batter should be medium thin.
- Heat a tawa and spread a dosa in a circular motion.
- Spread the chopped onions immediately.
- Slightly press the onions with the spatula so that the onion sticks to the batter.
- Smear it with ghee or oil (I used ghee).
- Cook it for sometime.
- Once it starts roasting flip it to the opposite side and roast it well.
- Serve it hot with chutney.
Ingredients for the Red chutney:
Byadgi chillies - 10 -12
Sambhar onions -10-12,peeled
Tamarind - pinch
Asafoetida - pinch
Oil -1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
- Heat oil and roast chillies,onion and garlic together for sometime.
- Once it gets roasted add hing,tamarind .
- Cool it and grind it adding salt to taste.
- Serve it with the dosa,idli etc.
Labels: Breakfast, Dosa corner