I adapted this recipe from a Kannada cookery show 'Oggarane Dabbi' which was telecasted yesterday noon. I like the recipes of Chef Suchitra as it gives me a good result.The recipe was so tempting that I soaked the ingredients immediately once the show was done .G.S.B's are very fond of Dosa's and I like to try new varieties.The dosa looked crisp and tempting and it was worth trying it.It came out super crisp just the way it was shown.
Suchitra gave few tips on chutney and bhaji of Davangere Benne Masala Dosa ( DBMD).Firstly there is no seasoning in the bhaji and secondly only green chilly,salt and grated coconut is added in the chutney and that is the secret of this recipe.Similarly smearing of ghee to the dosa is important and applying butter on the hot dosa is a must since it is a Benne Masala dosa.So keep the diet plan aside temporarily if you want to relish this DBMD.
Urad dal/Split black gram -1/2 cup
Dosa rice -2 cups
Fenugreek seeds /methi seeds -1/4 tsp
Beaten rice / poha -1 cup
Maida - 2 tbsp
Cooking soda -1/4 tsp
Sugar -1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
- Soak urad dal,rice,methi for 5-6 hours.
- Soak poha for 10-15 minutes in little water separately.
- Wash soaked urad dal mixture well.
- Grind it into a very fine fluffy batter with soaked poha.
- Ferment it overnight or for 6-7 hours.
- Next morning add maida(dilute in water to avoid lumps),sugar,salt and cooking soda.
- Beat the batter well.
- Heat a tawa,clean it with a damp cloth and spread a ladle of batter into a circular motion.
- Smear it with some ghee and cook it.
- I have not closed the lid to cook the dosa.
- Adjust the flame and cook the dosa.
- Once it starts roasting,spread potato bhaji,and fold the dosa and fry on both sides once for crispy dosa.
- Transfer it into the plate and add a blob of butter on the hot dosa.
- Repeat the same procedure from step 8 to step 13 with the remaining batter.
- Serve it hot with chutney.
Ingredients for the bhaji:
Boiled potato -4
Green chillies -3,chopped finely
Oil - 2 tbsp
Method for the bhaji:
- Mash potatoes and add salt to taste.
- Heat oil and saute onion until translucent.
- Add green chillies and mashed potatoes.
- Mix it well and cook for for 3-4 minutes.
Ingredients for the chutney:
Grated coconut -1 cup
Green chilly - 2
Salt - to taste
- Grind all the ingredients together with little water to medium fine paste.
- Dont add much water.
- Keep it semi dry.
- Serve it with Davangere Masala Dosa.
Labels: Breakfast, Dosa corner