Sometime back I had tried Andhra style spicy chicken roast which I had adapted from 'OD' and this time it is from Kudpimaams blog as suggested by my friend Laxmi Shenoy..The dish came out very tasty . As I repeatedly keep mentioning I like to try new recipes most of the time ,I tried this version this time.Coming back to the recipe it is better to start the preparation prior, a day in advance as the recipe calls for marination of 7-8 hours however I did not follow as I wanted to prepare it the same day.Even powdering the Andhra masala powder prior saves a lot of time.I have halved the measurements of Andhra masala powder as I like mild flavour,but you may double the measurement as per the original recipe.
Recipe adapted from : Kudpiraj's Garam Tawa
Ingredients for the marination:
Chicken -1 kg
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder- 2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Ingredients for the Andhra Masala Powder:
Coriander seeds -2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Khuskhus/poppy seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon -1 "
Cardamom - 2
Cloves - 3
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Kashmiri Chilly powder -2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste -3 tsp
Coriander leaves - handful,chopped
Curry leaves -3 sprigs
Ghee - 3 tbsp
Oil -3-4 tbsp
- Marinate the chicken with the ingredients mentioned under the list for 7-8 hours.
- Dry roast the Andhra Masala powder ingredients,powder it finely and keep it ready.
- Roast cashewnuts and curry leaves in a tsp of ghee and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions until light brown in colour.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until oil leaves the sides.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry until raw smell disappears.
- Add marinated chicken,chilly powder and mix well
- Check salt and cook it in high flame for 5 minutes turning the pieces from time to time.
- When chicken is half cooked add coriander leaves and Andhra masala powder.
- Cover the vessel with a lid and cook until the chicken gets almost gets cooked.
- Once it is almost cooked,remove the lid and cook on high flame to reduce the water.
- Once the masala becomes thick and dry add roasted cashewnuts,curry leaves and ghee and mix it well.
- Serve it hot with rice or biryani rice.
- Squeeze a lime for extra punch.