Beetroot is a powerhouse of nutrients and minerals.Though it has high sugar contents it has many health benefits too.The common dish which we prepare at home is upkari (subzi) or salad.Beetroot pulav makes a full meal and is one of the best dish which we can pack for kids or adult's tiffin . I adapted this recipe from the Zee Kannada cookery show and modified as per my needs.
Basmathi rice - 1 cup
Onion - 2,sliced
Bay leaf - 1
Star anise -1
Kasuri Methi -1 tsp
Beetroot - 1 cup,cut into small cubes
Crushed ginger garlic paste -2 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Crushed pepper powder -1 pinch
Chilly powder -1 tsp or to taste
Green chilly -4,slit into 2
Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup,chopped
Mint leaves-1/4 cup,chopped
Coconut milk -1 cup
Water - 1 1/2 cup
Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Heat ghee in a cooker,add whole spices and saute.
- Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add crushed ginger garlic paste and saute it for few seconds.
- Add green chilly,Cashewnuts,Kasuri methi,tomato and saute further.
- Add Turmeric powder,chilly powder and crushed pepper.
- Add beetroot,rice, coconut milk and water.
- Lastly add salt to taste,chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Take one whistle and off the flame.
- Serve it hot.