I remember posting this curry in December 2012,but I could not trace it anywhere in the blog and thought of reposting it again.I'm assuming it must have got deleted due to some error but fortunately I found few pictures in my album plus lucky I had shot few pictures randomly during this Yugadi....This curry is popularly prepared by the Amchis who live in Kerala.My Aayi (granny) used to prepare this curry often and we used to relish it to the core.Soyi Bhajjile means roasted grated coconut.The gravy tastes simply great.I adapted this recipe from my Aayi via Amma.
Black chana /Bengal gram - 1 cup,cooked
Grated coconut -1 1/2 cups
Long red chillies -8 (roasted in a tsp of oil )
Short red chillies - 6 (roasted in a tsp of oil )
Tamarind - marble sized
Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
Urad dhal - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Bread fruit - 1 cup
Drumstick - 1,cut it into medium pieces and cooked(optional)
Yam -1/4 cup,cooked(optional)
Tender cashewnuts - 1/4 cup,cooked (optional)
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Soak chana overnight in enough water,next morning wash it well,add water and cook it in cooker for 3-4 whistles and simmer for 30 minutes until it gets cooked.
- Once cooked add salt to taste, breadfruit and cook it until breadfruit gets just cooked.
- Keep it aside.
- Roast the grated coconut until red in colour without burning it.
- Cool it and keep it aside.
- Roast coriander seeds and urad dhal in a tbsp of oil.
- Grind roasted coconut,coriander and urad dhal ,roasted chillies,tamarind together to a medium fine paste.
- Add the masala to the cooked chana, add tender cashewnuts and drumstick.
- Check salt,add masala water adjusting the consistency of the gravy and take a boil.
- Heat oil,splutter mustard seeds,curry leaves and saute for a second.
- Season it to the curry.
- Serve it hot with rice.
- Normally we add Breadfruit,drumstick and tender cashewnuts as a combination.
- You may or may not keep the skin of the breadfruit.
- We add yam only when breadfruit is out of season or not available.