This time I adapted this recipe from Sanjeev Kapoor's site.I first tasted this biryani at Amma's place prepared by Santoshi and she tempted me to prepare this authentic biryani.The aroma and flavour was simply fantastic.This recipe is a must try biryani.You may also prepare this biryani with paneer,egg,prawns or mixed vegetables.
Recipe adapted from : Sanjeev Kapoor's site
Button Mushroom -15-20,washed and sliced
Basmathi rice - 1 1/2 cups
Bay leaf -1
Cinnamon -1" piece
Mace -1 blade
Ginger paste - 2 tsp
Garlic paste - 2 tsp
Red chilly powder -2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder-
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Curds - 1/2 cup
Cumin powder -1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves -1/2 cup, chopped
Mint leaves -1/2 cup,chopped
Kewra essence -few drops
Milk -5 tbsp
Saffron - few strands
Ghee -4 tbsp approx
Salt - to taste
Brown onions -1/2 cup
Cashewnuts - handful(Roasted in a tsp of ghee)
Raisins - few(Roasted in a tsp of ghee)
- Take an electric rice cooker,grease the plate and the base of the vessel with a tbsp of ghee,add washed and soaked rice.
- Add 3 cups of water,salt to taste,2 tbsp ghee and whole spices.
- Dilute saffron in milk and keep it ready.
- Once the rice is 3/4 cooked spread half of saffron milk over the rice but don't mix it.
- You may also prepare the rice in a normal way on the flame until the rice gets just cooked.
- Once the rice is done use a fork and separate the grains delicately and cool it.
- For the curry take a pan,heat 2 tbsp ghee and saute onions until translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste,chilly powder,crushed pepper,cumin powder and turmeric powder.
- Add pureed tomatoes and saute for few more minutes.
- Add half each of mint and coriander leaves.
- Add sliced mushrooms,curds and salt to taste.
- Cook the mushroom until done.
- Lastly add garam masala powder and cook it on high flame until the gravy turns dry.
- You may also prepare the curry with oil but ghee always gives an extra punch.
How to give dum:
- Take a borosil bowl,add a layer of curry and a layer of rice.
- Spread fried onions,chopped coriander and mint leaves and kewra essence.
- Ensure that the top layer is of rice,spread coriander and mint leaves,fried onions,kewra essence and saffron milk.
- Top it with roasted cashewnuts and raisins.
- Cover it with a cling film and microwave for 6 minutes.
- Or you may give it dum by arranging biryani in a broad handi,covering it with a tight lid, and give dum by placing the handi over the tawa on slow flame for 10 to 15 minutes..
- Please place a heavy pounding stone over the handi or seal the sides with the Chapathi dough.
- Or you may give dum in a preheated oven at 200 d.c for 10 - 12 minutes.