Few days back it was my Birthday and I was searching for a good dessert recipe and I had shortlisted this recipe from Rak's Kitchen which seemed very inviting and easy plus it was eggless.I tried last week successfully.Most important point to remember in this recipe is the setting part of the dessert.First time when I tried this pudding I had set it during the daytime for 4 hours approx and when I unmoulded it the caramel part got stuck to the tin though the cake was intact and I was disappointed.One of the reason for this may be is that , kids keep opening the fridge for cold water several times as it is their summer vacation and the setting got disturbed....I immediately prepared it the second time and kept it to set overnight infact the next day I had to go out of town and it got set for more than 10 hours.And when I unmoulded it the second the time it was fabulous and my joy knew no bounds.Yes,it was beautifully set with the caramel just like a crown on the cake.Tastewise it was very fantastic.This recipe is a keeper.One more thing, today is my Papa's Birthday and I dedicate this pudding to him.
Bread - 8 slices
Sugar -9 tbsp,powdered
Milk - 1 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence - 1tsp
Tutty fruity or nuts - 2 -3 tbsp (optional)
Ingredients for the Caramel:
Sugar -4 tbsp
Water -2 -3 tsp
- Tear the bread into pieces roughly or powder it coarsely in the blender.
- Soak it in the milk and mash it well using the back of the spoon.
- Add sugar powder,vanilla essence,tutty fruity or nuts.
- Meanwhile take a small pan and mix sugar and water.
- Tilt the pan frequently for even cooking.
- Cook it until it turns golden in colour without burning it.
- Immediately pour it in a round or rectangle cake tin.
- Using a pincer hold the vessel ,working quickly tilt the dish to coat the base completely.
- Allow it to set for 3 minutes approx.
- Once set pour the bread mixture in the tin.
- Cover it with an aluminium foil and make some small vents for the steam to escape.
- Heat a steamer and steam the pudding for 20 minutes.
- Once done remove it from the steamer,cool it well.
- Set it overnight or 7-8 hours.
- Once set,slightly loosen the sides and unmould it .
- Slice it into pieces and serve it chilled.