Bullet Idli is a popular dish of South India.It is nothing but mini idli or baby idli.It is also known as Button idli.We get a separate idli stand with small depressions to prepare these idli's .I had bought this stand from Kerala when we had gone to Munnar trip many years back but you may find it in any store . Whenever we prepare normal Idli I prepare this idli for the kids and at times for all of us.Bullet idli goes well with rasam ,dhali thoy or Sambhar.The batter is same as normal idli batter.
Black gram dal(urad dal)-1 cup
Idli rawa-2 cups(I use Nilgiris brand)
Salt- to taste
Water-as much needed to grind the batter
- Soak urad dal for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Next day wash it thoroughly and grind it in an electric grinder or blender until fluffy.
- Wash the idli rawa,drain the water if any and mix it with the ground urad dal and beat it well with a ladle and ferment it overnight or 7-8 hours.
- Next morning add salt to taste,water if needed and beat the batter well.
- Keep the batter medium thick,don't make it too thin nor thick.
- Grease the Bullet idli stand with oil,use a tsp of batter in the depression and steam it for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes switch off the flame,open the lid and take out the cooked idli.
- Wait for 5-6 minutes and scoop the baby idli with the spoon carefully.
- Serve it hot with rasam or sambhar.
Labels: Breakfast, Idli