As promised I'm going to focus more on Konkani cuisine this year and will try to post as much as I can.This is an authentic saru prepared in most of the Amchi homes.My sister Shan prepares this often and is the most favourite saru of my daughter.This goes best with rice and papad.I adapted this saru from Jaya V Shenoy's book recommended by my sister.This saru is definitely a keeper.This can be relished hot like a soup also.There are many varieties of saru which I will post as and when I prepare the same. Saru is best served in temples and wedding functions.This saru is filled with the aroma of curry leaves and aromatic Indian spices.
Curry leaves-3-4 sprigs
Tur dal-2 tsp
Coriander seeds-3 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Asafoetida- a pinch
Coconut - 1 tbsp
Tamarind -1 marble sized
Jaggery - 1 small piece
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - handful,chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Roast fenugreek seeds,cumin,pepper,red chillies,asafoetida,curry leaves and coconut until brown.
- Grind all the roasted ingredients along with tamarind to a smooth paste.
- Transfer this masala into a vessel,add 4 -5 cups of approx and adjust the consistency.
- Add jaggery,salt to taste and bring the saru to a boil.
- Heat the remaining oil,splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Season it to the saaru.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.