Jeev kadgi means breadfruit.It is a distant cousin of Jackfruit but not as gummy as Jack.Many dishes are prepared with breadfruit like Jeev kadgi upkari,hinga uda,soyi bhajjile ghashi etc but the most popular is Jeev kadgi bhajo and Jeev kadgi phodi..And one more thing,this is a vegetable which is called as fruit i.e Breadfruit.It comes in light green colour and is as big as a big coconut.Sometimes it tastes slightly sweetish if it is too ripe.This fritter is not prepared spicy.We keep it mild.You may or may not add the chilly powder.Stay tuned for more Jeevkadgi recipes!
Breadfruit slices - 12
Chilly powder -1 tsp(I add a pinch)
Hing -1/4 tsp powder
Salt - to taste
Rice flour - to coat
Oil - to deep fry
- Peel the outer skin of the breadfruit and discard the centre core.
- You may use a peeler to remove the skin.
- Since it slightly sticky apply oil to the knife and cut the vegetable.
- Slice it into thick slices as shown in the picture.
- Wash it well,remove the excess water and marinate with salt,chilly powder and hing.
- Heat oil,dip the marinated slices in the rice flour,coat it on both the sides and deep fry turning both the sides and fry until brown in colour.
- You may also tawa fry the fritters.
- Serve it hot.