Cucumber idli/ Thoushe Muddo is again a popular dish of G.S.B's.Traditionally it is prepared in turmeric leaves.G.S.B ladies who perform Gowri pooja (coconut pooja) often use the cucumber which was used in pooja to prepare this idli or muddo in turmeric leaves as turmeric leaves are also available during that season in abundance.We had lot of turmeric leaves in our patch and I wanted to prepare this since such a long time but unfortunately lost the leaves due to some construction work and I could not use it.....Would want to prepare this idli again using the turmeric leaves and will update with more pictures when I prepare it.This idli is filled with the aroma of cucumber.There are few other versions which I have bookmarked and will post when I prepare the same.
Idli Rawa-2 cups
Grated coconut-1 cup
Grated cucumber-2 cups
Salt- to taste
Jaggery -3 tbsp(optional)
- Wash the idli rawa,drain the water and keep it aside.
- Make a paste of ginger and green chillies coarsely without adding water.
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned above together.
- Meanwhile grease the idli moulds with oil and keep the steamer on flame.
- Add a ladle of batter in the mould.
- Steam the idli for 15 minutes.
- Serve it hot with homemade butter or pickle.
- You may garnish the batter with a piece turmeric leaf while steaming the idli.
- Use the cucumber water to mix the batter as it enhances the flavour.
- You may also steam it in plantain leaf.
- You may also line the turmeric leaves in the idli mould,add the batter over it and then steam it.
- You may also soak rice for 3 hours,drain water and coarse grind it like rawa and use instead of idli rawa.
- Amma's suggestion is to add chopped green chillies instead of grinding it for a better taste.
Labels: Breakfast, Idli