Chow Chow Bhath is a popular South Indian breakfast which is very famous in Karnataka.This is a two in one breakfast which consists of Sheera/Kesari bhath and Kharabhath,sweet and spicy combination.The common ingredient of both the dish is fine suji or Bombay rawa.I have already posted both the recipes of Khara bhath and Sheera.All you have to do is prepare both the dishes together for breakfast or snack and serve it as a twin tower with coconut chutney.
Bangaloreans also name sheera as Kesari bhath as it is flavoured with Kesar/Saffron.Both Khara Bhath and Kesar Bhath are flavoured with Ghee or clarified butter which gives an extra punch to the dish.Chow Chow Bhath is the best example for 'Breakfast like a King' where you may heartily enjoy your breakfast with a cup of filter coffee if you are a coffee lover like me.
Even though I have already posted both Sheera/Kesar Bhath and Khara Bhath recipe I will paste both the recipes to make it more convenient instead of giving only the links.
Recipe for Khara bhath:
Recipe adapted from :The chef and her Kitchen
Semolina-1 cup fine or coarse(Khandva suji or bombay suji or rawa)
Onion-1 big,chopped finely
Ginger-garlic paste-2 tsp
Coriander leaves-2 tbsp,chopped
Chilly powder or sambhar powder-1/2 tsp(I used Sambhar powder)
Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp(I did not use)
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Curry leaves-8-10 sprigs
Ghee- 1-2 tbsp to garnish
Salt- to taste
Water-4 cups(boiling water)1:4 ratio
Carrot-1,cut into small cubes
Green peas-1/2 cup,frozen or fresh,cooked
Ingredients for the seasoning:
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Urad dhal /Split black gram dal-1/2 tsp
Chana dhal /Bengal gram dal-1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
- Dry roast the rawa until you get a nice aroma and keep it aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp ghee and roast cashewnuts until light brown in colour and keep it aside.
- In the same pan and ghee,splutter mustard seeds,add all the seasonings mentioned,fry it until light brown in colour,add green chillies,curry leaves.
- Add onions and saute it for sometime.
- Add all the veggies and cook it until it fades little bit.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute it until the raw smell disappears.
- Add all the spice powders and saute for a second.
- Now add 4 cups of boiling water and again take a boil.
- Add semolina,salt to taste,pinch of sugar and cook it stirring well.
- Close the lid and keep it for 2-3 minutes.
- Off the flame and garnish coriander leaves,roasted cashewnuts,grated coconut and lime juice.
- Serve it hot with a blob of ghee.
Recipe for Sheera /Kesar Bhath:
Recipe adapted from : Jaya .V.Shenoy 's recipe book
Medium rawa- 1 cup
Ghee -1/2 cup
Elaichi powder /Cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp
Saffron -a pinch or yellow food colour
- Boil 2 cups of water and keep it ready.
- Roast raisins and cashewnuts in a tsp of ghee until light brown and keep it ready.
- Roast rawa in ghee in a thick kadai.
- Add the boiling water turn over till the rava becomes soft.
- Add sugar and continue turning over for another few minutes.
- Add saffron soaked in milk or yellow colour,elaichi powder and mix it.
- Lastly garnish with roasted nuts and raisins.