This is a simple dish of the Amchi's and also a popular one.This is best relished with Poha chutney or with the main course.I adapted this recipe from my Amma.'Chana','chano'or 'chane' is black bengal gram which is packed with nutrients.Generally Konkani's prepare the chana dishes on Friday's or during some festive occasions.We prepare different dishes with Black chana like chana ghashi,chana sarupkari,soyi bhajjile ghashi etc.I will be posting all these authentic dishes and other dishes as and when I prepare.Until then stay tuned!
Black Chana(Black whole bengal gram)- 1 cup
Sweet potato- 1 cup,cubed
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Jaggery- marble sized or less
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
Grated coconut- 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
- Cook the sweet potato separately until just cooked.
- Soak chana for 9 -10 hours,wash it well and cook it the pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles.
- Lower the flame and cook for 30 minutes or until well cooked.
- If the chana is of good variety it slightly becomes big and cooks well.
- Add salt to taste and take a boil.
- Reserve the extra stock and use it for further use.
- Take a pan,heat oil splutter mustard seeds,add curry leaves,green chillies and hing.
- Add cooked chana,cooked sweet potato,jaggery and mix it well.
- Use the stock if required and cook on high flame until it becomes thick and dry.
- Check salt and adjust it accordingly.
- Garnish with grated coconut and mix it again.
- Serve it hot with the main course or with poha chutney.
- You may skip adding sweet potato if you do not want.
- You may also skip adding coconut.
- You may also prepare this with Kabuli chana.
- I prepare this dish as semidry consistency,I do not make it too dry.
- You may use the extra chana stock,season it with mustard,curry leaves,hing,red chillies/green chillies or garlic and green chillies/red chillies and use it as a Saaru.