Ghashi's are the common curry prepared in G.S.B household.Normally it is prepared with few pulses like Chana,Dave thori,and few other pulses and seasoned with mustard seeds and curry leaves and that's the main reason it is often prepared during festive seasons.Chane ghashi is the most famous ghashi.Ghashi's are normally prepared mild.I adapted this curry from my Amma.
Dave thori /Chana/ - 1 cup
Coconut -2 cups
Short red chillies -3(roasted in 1/2 tsp of oil)
Long red chillies -2(roasted in 1//2 tsp oil)
Tamarind -marble sized
Yam /breadfruit /jackfruit-1 cup,cooked (optional)
Sorrel fruit /Bimbul - 4-5,chopped
Ingredients to season:
Oil -1-2 tsp
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Curry leaves -2 sprigs
Fenugreek seeds -few seeds (optional)
- Soak chana /thori (for 8- 10 hours) overnight and next morning wash it well.
- Add it in the pressure cooker,add enough water and take 4-5 whistles.
- If it is chana simmer the flame for 30 minutes as chana takes longer time to cook.
- Cook it until done.
- Once cooked add salt and take a boil for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Add Sorrel fruit /Hogplums while you add salt and boil the chana/dave thori.
- If there is more stock retain it for further use.
- Meanwhile grind grated coconut,tamarind and chillies to a medium fine masala.
- If you are adding sorrel fruit or hogplums,reduce tamarind to 1/4th size.
- Add the masala to the cooked chana,add cooked Jackfruit/yam/breadfruit and take a boil.
- Add the retained stock if you need to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
- Heat oil,splutter mustard seeds,add methi seeds, curry leaves and fry for a second.
- Season it to the curry and close the lid immediately.
- Serve it hot with rice.
- While preparing chana ghashi add 2 tbsp boiled chana while you grind the masala,pulse it 2 to 3 times in the end.
- You may increase the quantity of chillies as per your taste.
- We keep the curry mild as we like it that way.
- Adding sorrel fruit/hogplums and breadfruit/yam is optional,as few are seasonal and we add it as a combination during its season.