Appam is a popular pancake/dosa of Kerala and Tamilnadu.I first tasted this dosa when I was a kid at my papa's sister's place in Calicut.Uncle was an expert in preparing this fluffy dosa.We would wait for our turn to relish the piping hot appams right from the tawa to our plates.They used to prepare it in a traditional appam kadai .
Appams are specially prepared in a special Appam tawa where we get basket shaped beautiful dosa . Now a days the appam pans are easily available in the markets .I use the Nonstick one...The centre of this dosa is spongy and the sides are light and crispy. I have tried many versions of this dosa but recently I tried Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's version with few modifications done by Santoshi Nayak.This is one of the perfect Appam recipe.Appams are best relished with Mutta curry(egg curry),vegetable stew,sweetened coconut milk etc.
Recipe adapted from :Sanjeev Kapoor
Dosa rice-2 cups
Grated coconut-1 cup
Cooked white rice-1 cup
White bread-4-5 slices,crusts discarded
Baking powder-1 tsp
Baking soda-2 tsp
Sugar- 2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Eno -2 sachets
- Soak rice for 2-3 hours and grind it with grated coconut,bread and cooked rice to a fine paste using little water.
- Add baking powder,baking soda,salt,sugar to the batter and ferment it overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- Next morning add eno and mix the batter well,add water if required and adjust the consistency of the batter.
- Heat a appam kadai add a ladle of batter in the centre of the kadai .
- Lift the pan off the flame and twirl it in a clockwise direction and spread the batter in a circular shape.
- Place back the pan on the flame,drizzle oil over it,cover the pan with a lid and cook it on low flame.
- Higher the flame, fry until it roasts well and leave the edges.
- You may cook the dosa until just done and leave the sides or roast it until crisp and brown.
- Serve it hot.
Labels: Dosa corner