This is one of my favourite curry and one of the best in the world.Yes,it is because this is my late maternal Granny's(Mamama's) recipe which is to be treasured.I could taste this curry prepared from her magical hands until 2 years back.She was a great Masterchef in true sense.Any simple dish would taste wonderful because of the special ingredient she used to add in all her dishes and that was 'Love'....Never the less my Amma too has inherited her cooking style and even I am trying my best.This curry is very easy to prepare and almost similar to the normal fish panaphkari but with a slight twist.
The curry can be prepared with any fish like Mackerels,Sardines,Lady fish,Silver fish,Prawns etc. Mamama used to prepare often with Mackerels.The curry goes well with boiled rice or even with white rice.My Mamama used to prepare this curry with homemade chilly powder which enhanced the taste.The below curry was prepared using Seer fish fillets.
Fish -6 fillets (mackerels,sardines,seer fish etc)
Kashmiri chilly powder -3-4 tsp or to taste
Tamarind- marble sized pulp
Ginger-2 tbsp,chopped finely
Green chilly- 3,slit
Salt- to taste
Oil- 3 tbsp(I used coconut oil)
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions until pinkish in colour.
- Reduce the flame,add chilly powder and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes,ginger,green chillies and tamarind pulp.
- Add little water,salt to taste and take a boil.
- Cook it in simmer for 6-7 minutes.
- Add the cleaned fish,coat it with the masala delicately and cook it for sometime.
- Check salt and add water if required to adjust the consistency.
- Serve it hot with rice.