I adapted this recipe from Chef Vikas Khanna's recipe book 'The great India cookbook'.There are many interesting recipes in the book which I have bookmarked.Chef mentioned in the book that this is the recipe of Masterchef India contestant Joseph Rozario's recipe where he has given full credit and I really appreciate the simplicity of the great chef Vikas Khanna.Many a times I like to cook very simple recipes and this is one of the simple and tasty recipe.I have slightly modified the recipe by adding green peas and few cashewnuts for extra punch.Happy weekend dear readers!
Basmathi rice- 1 1/2 cups
Green capsicum-1 ,keep it whole
Onion-1,small,peeled and kept whole
Dried red chillies-4
White vinegar-1 tbsp
Sugar- 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
- Brush tomatoes,capsicum and onion with 2 tsp oil.
- Roast it over flame directly one by one with the help of tongs.
- I roasted it on a papad(phulka) pan.
- Set it aside to cool and remove the skin.
- In the blender combine the roasted ingredients,red chillies,garlic,peppercorns,vinegar,sugar and salt and grind to make a smooth paste or chutney.
- Wash the rice and drain it.
- Put the remaining oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the ground chutney and saute for 1 minute.
- Add drained rice and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Gradually mix in 3 cups of water and cook over medium heat stirring occasionally.
- Cook until rice is tender and fluffy.
- Serve it hot.