26 th January is celebrated as Republic Day in India every year.On this special day I wanted to cook something tricoloured which matches our Indian flag.I had planned to prepare this tricoloured dhokla 2 years back but somehow could not make it. Our flag consists of 3 colours where Saffron symbolizes courage and sacrifice,white stands for peace and purity and green stands for fertility with Ashoka Chakra in the centre...I was not very sure how the outcome of the Dhokla would be and I was absolutely stunned with the result.All the 3 Dhoklas slided freely from the plate...I have not used any food colours in the recipe.All the 3 layers are with different flavors.I adapted the recipe from here.Happy republic Day!
Bombay suji-1 1/2 cups
Curds-1 1/2 cups or 1/2 l
Eno fruit salt- 1 1/2 tsp
Grated coconut- 3 tbsp + 2 tbsp to garnish
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
For saffron Dhokla:
Carrot-1,boiled and pureed
Chilly powder-1 tsp
For Green Dhokla:
Green chutney-1/2 cup(refer here)
I have also added blanched palak puree in the green chutney.
Ingredients for the seasoning:
Mustard seeds-1 tbsp
Sesame seeds-1 tbsp
- Grease 3 small equal sized small bottomed pans.
- I have used dhokla thalis which comes with a stand.
- Whip the curds well with salt.
- Add bombay suji,mix it well and keep it aside for 20 minutes.
- Divide the mixture equally into 3 parts in 3 different bowls.
- Use 3 separate spatula to mix the 3 flavors.
For the saffron layer:Mix carrot and tomato puree,chilly powder and whisk it.
For the white layer: Mix 3 tbsp grated coconut and ginger paste.
For the green layer:Mix green chutney.
- Grease all the 3 plates with a tsp of oil.
- Adjust salt in all 3 layers.
- You may add more curds or water to adjust the consistency of the batter.
- Once the water starts to boil in the steamer add 1/2 tsp Eno fruit salt in all the 3 batter.
- Transfer the batter in the greased plate,stack the pans in the steamer and steam it for 15 minutes.
- Once done,cool it for 5-6 minutes uncovered.
- Now prepare the seasoning,heat oil, splutter mustard seeds,add sesame seeds and hing,off the flame and keep it ready.
- Loosen the sides of the all the 3 dhokla .
- To assemble first invert the green layer carefully on a serving plate.
- Spread some seasoning all over.
- Next invert the white layer over the green layer.
- Spread grated coconut all over.
- Finally invert the saffron layer over the white layer.
- Spread the remaining seasoning evenly.
- You may also add chopped green chillies and chilly powder in the seasoning.
- You may also garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- You may also spread Mint chutney in between the layers.
- Cut into slices and serve with Green chutney.