Its our favourite Gujarathi dish again.This time it is steamed and fried version of methi muthia/muthiya.This is one of the popular Gujarathi cuisine prepared out of fenugreek leaves.Usually Steamed version is prepared as a snack and the fried ones are used in Shaak which means curries like in Undhiyu(coming up next) and many other curries.Steamed version is anytime healthier over the fried ones plus methi leaves contains many nutritional benefits.Steamed version reminds me of Aaloo wadi or our Amchi Pathrado.We consumed the steamed version for lunch and used the fried one's in the Shaak to prepare Undhiyu.Stay tuned for the Undhiyu recipe!!!
Fenugreek leaves/methi leaves- 2 1/2 cups,plucked and washed well
Whole wheat flour- 1/2 cup
Chickpea flour-1/2 cup
Ginger paste-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Chilly powder- 1 tsp
Sugar- 2 tbsp
Lemon juice-3 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Oil- 3 tbsp
Water-2 tbsp approx
Ingredients to temper:
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Sesame seeds- 1 tbsp
Hing/asafoetida- a pinch
Method for the steamed version:
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned together.
- Use few tbsp of water and make a dough.
- Dont add too much of water,add only if needed.
- Grease your palm with little oil and make rolls of 1" diameter.
- Grease the steaming plate with oil and prepare the steamer.
- Once it starts to boil,arrange the rolls.
- Steam it for 10- 12 minutes.
- Once done,cool it for 5 minutes and slice it.
- Take a pan,heat oil,add all the seasoning ingredients,splutter it and arrange the sliced muthiyas.
- Roast it on both the sides for few minutes.
Method for fried version:
- Grease your palm with oil.
- Make small cylinder shaped balls with pointed edges.
- Heat oil and deep fry until crisp.