Kuvale means Ashgourd and this is a mild curry prepared in most of the G.S.B homes.The best saasam we get to taste is in temples prepared during certain festivals.This curry is often prepared during festive occasions.I learnt to prepare this curry from my Amma and I follow her recipe.This year I would like to cover some of our authentic Konkani/G.S.B dishes.
Ashgourd-1/2 kg,chopped into medium sized chunks
Coconut- 1 cup,grated
Roasted short red chillies-2
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Jaggery- marble sized or to taste
Tamarind- half the marble size
Ingredients to season:
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Cook Ash gourd until it is just cooked,don't over cook it until mushy.
- Add salt to taste and jaggery to the cooked ashgourd and take a small boil.
- Grind grated coconut,roasted red chillies,tamarind coarsely.
- Lastly add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and pulse the mixer for 3-4 times.
- The masala should be coarse so don't over grind.
- Add the masala to the cooked ashgourd,add water,adjust the consistency and take a boil.
- You may also add 1-2 slit green chillies to the curry while you take a boil.
- The curry should be thick,not thin and watery.
- Check salt and off the flame.
- Heat oil,splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves.
- Season it to the curry and close the lid immediately to retain the flavour.
- Serve it hot with the main course.