This is one of the healthiest upkari which is sprouted and then cooked.Few days back I had posted a post on sprouting...The same upkari may be prepared with green gram too but the cooking method slightly differs.This is one of my favourite upkari and is very good for those who follow protein diet.I learnt to prepare this upkari from my Amma and my Mamama used to prepare this the best.
Sprouted Horse gram - 2 cups
Oil- 1 tbsp approx
Garlic -10-12,smashed with the skin
Red chilly -4-5,broken
Salt - to taste
Sugar- 1/2 tsp
Grated coconut -2 tbsp (optional)
- Wash the sprouted horsegram and add 3 cups water approx to it.
- Take 2 whistles in a pressure cooker and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Cook it until it gets cooked.
- Once cooked add salt to taste,sugar and take a boil.
- Heat oil in a seasoning pan,roast garlic until brown and add chillies and roast for few seconds on low flame.
- Season it to the upkari.
- Garnish with grated coconut.
- Serve it with the main course.