This is the second version of my favourite farsan Khaman Dhokla.Farsan means snacks as in Gujarati.. Gujarati food has always been my favourite be it Khandvi,Ragda patties or Gujarati Dal,the list is endless.This time I adapted the recipe from Tarla Dalal's Video.Tarlaji is a popular chef and is famous for her cookery books,videos etc.I really admire the simplicity in her and her talking style.It is a great loss to the culinary world of her sudden demise...Thanks a lot Tarlaji wherever you are.... Few important things to remember while preparing Dhokla is never over steam it after the given time.Secondly use a Thali with proper dimension.Heating the steamer or cooker is another important step.I used a Dhokla Stand (set with plates) which I had bought recently.
Recipe adapted from :Tarla Dalal
For Khaman Dhokla version 1 refer - here
For Khandvi version 1 refer - here
For Khandvi version 2 refer - here
Besan / Chickpea flour - 1 cup
Sugar- 3 tsp(I increased to 5 tsp approx)
Citric acid - 1/2 tsp
Rawa /Semolina - 1 1/2 tbsp
Water - a little less than 3/4 cup approx
Ginger- green chilly paste-1/2 tsp
Eno fruit salt- 1 1/2 tsp
Ingredients to temper :
Oil- 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Sesame seeds -1/2 tsp
Green chillies-2 chopped finely
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Water- 2 tbsp
Ingredients to garnish:
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp,chopped finely
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Grease a thali sufficient enough to pour the batter and keep it ready.
- Keep the steamer ready to heat.
- Sieve the besan for the better results.
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under batter except ENo fruit salt.
- Don't add all the water at once.
- Add water little at a time and mix it like a idli batter consistency.
- Lastly add eno fruit salt in the batter,add a tsp of water over the eno and mix it well.
- The batter will turn frothy and will look double the quantity.
- Immediately pour it in the greased thali and steam it for exactly 10 minutes not more or less than that.
- When the steaming is almost done,when it is around 9 minutes start the seasoning.
- For seasoning,heat oil,splutter mustard seeds,add til,chopped green chillies and fry it in simmer.
- Lastly add hing and switch off the flame.
- Season it to the Dhokla immedialtely.
- Add 2 tbsp water in the seasoning pan when still hot and pour the water all over Dhokla.
- Water is added so that it turns soft and doesn't turn sticky.
- Once cooled slice it into square pieces.
- Serve it with green chutney.