Varai is a kind of grain/millet or broken rawa and is consumed often during fasting. Varai Idli or Khotto are the common dishes prepared during festivals. Varai is also known as Samo rice / Kodo millet. It is a good source of proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
It is available in the stores in Mangalore and often known as Varai itself.Coming back to this recipe I first tasted this at my husbands cousins place in Bangalore during the season of Ganesh Chaturthi.I liked it so much that I immediately borrowed the recipe from her and have been preparing it for than 12 years from now. It is also a all time favourite dish of my hubby and me.
Recipe adapted from my husbands cousin: Mrs Vinaya Kini
Moong dal-1 cup
Water- 3 cups
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
Ginger-2 tbsp,chopped finely
- Wash both varai and moong dal.
- Take a pressure cooker,heat oil splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves.
- Add washed varai and moong dal,chopped ginger,water and salt to taste.
- Take a boil,check salt and close the lid.
- Take exactly one whistle and off the flame.
- Once the pressure releases,open the lid,add grated coconut and mix it.
- You may also grated coconut along with the varai and other ingredients.
- Serve it hot with cup of coffee or tea.