Taj Mahal is one of the popular restaurant in Mangalore. I have mentioned the name in my earlier posts too.It is a kind of tradition in Mangalore where men have their one round of early morning breakfast in the restaurant followed by evening snacks where they also meet their friends there and have good time talking and eating tasty snacks.And theek rotti or spicy rotti is a specialty there.I adapted this recipe from my friend Mrs Suphala Shenoy who is a very good vegetarian cook.Thanks a lot Suphala for this tasty recipe.
For potato bhaji refer here and here.
For other versions of rotti refer here and here.
Wheat flour-1 1/2 cups
Maida-1/2 cup or fistful
Salt- to taste
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Water- as much needed to knead
Oil - to deep fry
- Crush the peppercorns and cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle .
- Make a paste with the green chillies and the banana.
- Transfer the powder and paste in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt to taste,sugar,curds and mix it well.
- Add the sieved flour,add water little by little and knead into medium stiff dough.
- Make small balls,flatten and roll a rotti of your desired size.
- Heat oil,deep fry with a slotted spoon,pressing the puris to puff and fry on both sides adjusting the flame until brown in colour.
- Serve it hot with Potato bhaji.