Pizza dosa or Benne dosa is one of the tastiest dosa I ever had during the recent times.Benne dosa is popularly known as Davangere Benne dosa.Well,I tasted this at Amma's place prepared by Santoshi. Santoshi has a great choice when it comes to finding out new recipes.This is one of the highly recommended dosa to be tried.The main flavour of this dish is homemade butter.You may use Amul butter or any other butter too.The aroma and the taste is simply fantastic.If you are not using the stuffing then you may prepare plain dosa which is Benne dosa.Benne means butter.So don't compromise with it.For this dosa I used a special tawa with few small depressions of baby dosas.I had bought this dosa tawa few years back from Kamath and co,Mangalore to prepare baby dosas for my kids.But due to excess utensils and gadgets, had kept it in the store.When Santoshi bought one recently and prepared the dosas I was tempted to prepare the same.Thus finally I inuagrated my baby dosa tawa last week.You may use stuffing of your choice too.This recipe is definitely a keeper.
Recipe source for Benne Dosa: Kini's Kitchen
Urad dal-1 cup
Dosa rice-4 cups
Beaten rice-1 cup
Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tsp
Maida-4 tbsp(Next morning add little water and dilute it)
Baking soda-1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Butter-as much needed to smear the dosa(I used homemade butter)
For the stuffing:
Pepper powder-1/4 tsp,coarsely ground
Salt- to taste
Ingredients for garnish:
Tomato ketchup-as much as needed(you may use sauce of your choice)
Grated cheese-3-4 cubes grated
Method for the stuffing:
- Heat oil and saute onions and mushrooms together for 5-6 minutes adding salt and pepper powder.
- Keep it ready.
Method for plain Benne dosa:
Method for pizza dosa:
- Soak urad dal and rice for 4-5 hours along with fenugreek seeds.
- Soak beaten rice/poha separately.
- Once soaked,drain water,wash the dal and rice well and grind it with poha very finely until the batter turns fluffy.
- Ferment it overnight.
- Next morning add salt to taste,sugar,baking soda and diluted maida.
- Beat the batter well.
- Heat a tawa,smear it butter and prepare dosa.
- If you are preparing plain benne dosa roast it on both sides.
- Use butter when you flip the dosa on the opposite side.
- Serve it hot with chutney.
- Heat a baby dosa tawa or any tawa.
- Smear it with butter.
- Add a ladle of batter,dont spread the dosa.
- Spread tomato sauce all over without disturbing the batter.
- Spread the mushroom stuffing.
- Garnish with grated cheese.
- Close the tawa with a lid and roast it in simmer.
- Open the lid,if the cheese has melted,keep it for 1-2 minutes and then take it from tawa.
- No roasting on the opposite side.
- Pizza dosa is ready.
- Serve it hot with ketchup or relish just like that.
Labels: Dosa corner