Kuvale means Ash gourd.Kuvale pulikoddel is a popular G.S.B curry prepared in almost every G.S.B household.This is served in few temple festivals especially during Mangalorean car festival .This tastes sweet, mildly sour and spicy.I adapted this recipe from my Amma and the curry is also contributed by her. Amma said that seasoning the curry with ghee enhances the taste and flavour of the curry further.I will try to update with stepwise pictures when I prepare the same.
Ash gourd-1/2 kg
Salt - to taste
Tamarind-double the marble size
Ingredients to season:
Ghee or oil-1 tsp(We use ghee)
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
Ingredients for the masala:
Grated coconut-1 cup
Long red chilies-8-9,roasted in a tsp of oil
Coriander seeds-4 tsp
Bengal gram dal/chana dal-2 tsp
Split black gram dal/urad dal-2 tsp
Black sesame seeds-1 tsp
Rice- 1 tsp
Turmeric piece-small or 1/4 tsp powder
Asafoetida-small piece or 1/4 tsp powder
Oil- 2 tsp
- Peel,wash,discard seeds and cut the ashgourd into chunks.
- Add salt to taste and jaggery and cook the gourd until just done.
- Dont over cook.
- Keep it aside.
Method for the masala:
- Dry roast the grated coconut until reddish in colour and keep it to cool.
- Dry roast sesame seeds in low flame until it splutters and keep it aside.
- Dry roast rice for few seconds and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil and roast coriander seeds,chana dal and urad dal until light brown in colour.
- If you are using whole turmeric or hing piece(kada hing or paste), roast with the above ingredients together.
- If you are using hing powder and turmeric powder,off the flame and add it in the above fried ingredients and mix it since the powder burns quickly.
- Cool all the ingredients.
- You may powder this fried ingredients along with roasted chillies and tamarind coarsely or grind it coarsely adding water.
How to proceed:
- If there is more water in the cooked ash gourd reserve it in a separate vessel for later use.
- Mix the powder or masala to the cooked ash gourd,adjust the consistency with the reserved stock,check salt and jaggery and take a boil.
- Take a seasoning pan,heat ghee splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add it to the curry and close the lid immediately to preserve the flavour.
- At times the gravy becomes too dry after sometime,that time you may add the leftover stock if any.
- Serve it hot with the main course.