Dates and dry fruits roll/halwa/Burfi is one of the healthiest sweet prepared without sugar. Santoshi had tried this first and it tasted so good that I couldn't resist myself in preparing it.And when all the ingredients was available I put the best into use.This is a very simple preparation though it looks complicated.Few days back a member from a food group named Jayashri Baleri had posted this and had provided the link of a video and via that link and few other sources we prepared this roll.Thanks a lot Jaya for the inspiration and for the link.I have tried to post pictures stepwise but since I prepared it in the night I could not do much justice.This is one of the guilt-free sweet which can be indulged once in a while.The video link provided is in Telugu but we can follow the actions.Tomorrow is Tulasi pooja and I dedicate this post to Mother Tulasi.Happy Tulasi pooja to all those who are celebrating ! How can I forget Childrens Day?Happy Childrens day everyone!
Recipe adapted from : Here
Dates-2 cups,deseeded and chopped
Poppy seeds-1 tbsp
Water melon seeds or Magaz - 1 tbsp
Cardamom powder-2 tsp
Nutmeg powder-1/2 tsp
Edible gum/gond/Antu gum-1 tbsp
Aluminium foil- to roll
- Pulse the chopped dates in the mixer or a food processor for few seconds and keep it aside.
- Chop cashewnuts,pista and almonds manually.
- Dont chop it in a mixer as it will be powdery.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp ghee in a pan and roast edible gum/gond in low flame until it blooms slightly.
- It will resemble like roasted tapioca pearls.
- Cool it and powder it with your hands or in a mortar and pestle and keep it ready.
- Dry roast poppy seeds until it pops and keep it ready.
- Heat the remaining ghee and roast the chopped nuts along with magaz seeds in low flame for a minute.
- Add ground dates,cardamom powder,gum powder,poppy seeds and nutmeg powder and keep mixing it until you get a lump.
- Off the flame and transfer this mixture in a bowl.
- After 5 minutes or so once it cools slightly, grease your hands with ghee,knead the dough once to combine all the ingredients together.
- Divide into three equal portions.
- Shape it into cylindrical shape and smoothen it on a clean kitchen surface.
- Slightly press the top and bottom of the roll over the surface to smoothen.(check the picture).
- Place it on a aluminium foil and roll it like a chocolate and tighten both the ends.
- Place the roll on the kitchen surface and smoothen it again.
- Repeat it with other 2 rolls.
- Refrigerate for 5-6 hours.
- I kept it overnight as it was the right time to set without getting disturbed.
- After the given time,slice it and pop it in your mouth.
- Refrigerate until further use.