Few days back I was feeling restless after two failures of Almond burfi which I had tried from two different sources.Same time one of our relative came to my rescue and said her daughter who is also my cousin, who resides in Australia makes the best almond burfi and she adapted it from some blog.I immediately contacted Shubha and took the source.I prepared it the very next day,but reduced the measurement with little fear in mind.And the result was a superhit.I would want to prepare this burfi again and again.She also told me that she had tried the burfis with the almonds with the skin on and without it too as they get the skinned almonds at her place.
So the moral of the story is after every failure there is success.I have personally experienced it be it in cooking or in real life.We should never give up.I would want to try the same recipe with other nuts like groundnuts,cashewnuts,pistachios etc.The recipe is from the famous blog Ayisrecipes.I was first exposed to this blog by my sisters few years back.This is the first recipe I tried from Shilpa's blog with the perfect result ofcourse. Yesterday was my betterhalf's birthday and I dedicate this post to him.Happy Birthday dear Husband !
Recipe adapted from:Ayisrecipes
Special thanks to my cousin: Shubha(Deepa)
Cardamom powder-1/4 tsp
Ghee-2 tbsp+ 1 tsp to grease the tin
- Grease a rectangular tin and keep it ready.
- Dry roast the almonds for 3-4 minutes.
- Cool it and powder it very finely.
- Don't over grind as it may produce oil.
- Take a thick pan,mix sugar and water together.
- Keep it on flame and prepare the sugar syrup until you get a single string consistency.
- This may take about 5-6 minutes.
- Keep the flame on medium while you prepare the syrup and see that it doesn't get burnt.
- Once it reaches the required stage,off the flame,add the powder,ghee and mix it.
- Again keep it on low flame and keep stirring it until you get a thick mass and leaves the sides of the pan.
- This will again hardly take 5 minutes.
- Without wasting any time,off the flame,mix cardamom powder quickly,pour the mixture in the greased tin and spread it with a greased steel glass bottom or greased wooden spatula.
- After 5 minutes cut it into desired shapes but don't remove it, leave it in the tray for sometime.
- Transfer it in a container once it cools completely and turns hard.
- Next time I would try by blanching the almonds in hot water,peel,wipe it with a towel,roast it for sometime and then powder it and use.
- Keep checking for strings if you are new to it.
- Bubbling of the syrup indicates it is forming strings.