Recently we had been on a short vacation to Hassan Hoysala resort where the resort served fantastic food and Ubbatti was the centre of attraction there.They prepared cute little Ubbatti's and served it sizzling hot right from the tawa to the plate.All of us enjoyed it thoroughly and I had to rush to prepare it as soon as possible on kids demand. In the resort they used banana as the stuffing on the first day and the next day,chana dal.
It is best served with homemade ghee.I prepared Ubbatti twice after coming back,but still I need to master it...The yellow colour of the ubbatti is either turmeric powder or saffron soaked in little milk. Amma told me that my Mamama used to prepare it in whole lots during Diwali and distribute it to the relatives.She used to grind little mustard seeds and fresh turmeric stem and add it to the outer dough for the colour and flavour....
I adapted this recipe from Jaya V Shenoy's cookbook.The actual measurement called for 1 cup chana dal,I used the same measurement but the outer layer became less and I knead 1 1/2 cups dough again.Measurements vary in each case.Ubbatti takes me back to my college days where one lady named as Vilasini Mayi whom we used to call as Ubbatti Mayi used to prepare the bestest Ubbatti's and was successful too.She was there until few years back but now she has moved to some other place....
Ingredients for the outer layer:
Maida-1 1/2 cups
Oil-1/4 cup approx
Salt- a pinch
Turmeric powder or Kesar colour/saffron-1/4 tsp
Ingredients for the stuffing:
Chana dal-1/ cup
Jaggery-1/2 cup approx or to taste(or sugar)
Method for the outer layer:
- Sieve the flour first.
- Make the outer dough adding all the ingredients mentioned in the list into a soft elastic dough.
- The dough will resemble like a bubble gum.
- It should be as soft as that.
- While preparing dough,add oil little by little and prepare the dough.
- Add more oil if required.
- Close the dough with a lid and let it sit for 3-4 hours.
- The more the dough sits,better the results.
- More the oil,softer the Ubbatti.
Method for the stuffing:
- Wash the chana dal well and cook it in a cooker for 2-3 whistles,simmer for 15 minutes or until it gets cooked.
- Once the pressure releases,open the lid,drain the water completely in a colander.
- Cool it and mash it well or make a paste in the mixer without adding water.
- Mix this paste with the jaggery powder and keep it on flame and keep stirring until it forms a thick mass..
- Once you see that it has become dry and can make balls of it ,off the flame.
- When it is hot it will look slightly thin,don't worry.
- Cool it well and knead it once .
- This is called as Puran.
How to proceed:
- Grease your hands with oil if required.
- Make lime sized pellets of puran and equal number of pellets of the dough and keep it ready.
- Flatten the dough with the help of your fingers and place the puran in the centre,
- Seal it completely as you do it for the paratha.
- Again flatten it,dip it in the flour well,and roll like a paratha,but not too thick nor too thin.(About 1/8" thick)
- I used a Butter paper,dusted with little flour and rolled the ubbatti on it.
- Heat a tawa and roast the Ubbatti without adding any oil or ghee until brown in colour.
- Serve it hot with ghee.
- Can be kept at room temperature for 3-4 days.
- You may slightly microwave before serving if you want it warm or hot.
- Keep cleaning the tawa as and when required as the extra flour falls into the tawa while frying and gets burnt.(personal experience).