After Microwave Mysore Pak today it is Maa Laddoo. Today is the seventh day of Navaratri.Navratri is a festival which is celebrated for 9 days.The tenth day is Dussehra.Nav means nine and ratri means night.On this festival we worship Goddess Durga in different forms like Lakshmi,Saraswathi,Kali etc.Gujarati's celebrate this festival on a grand scale by playing garbha and Dadiya ras which is a form of dance.For more information on Navratri you may refer Wiki .
As a kid the best part which we used to enjoy was Dussehra holidays where initially we used to get a month holiday and then it got reduced to 15 days.We used to wait to see Navaratri Vesu like tiger dance,bear,Anarkali dance etc where people used to put fancy dress and come to houses and perform.But Tiger dance/pili vesa/vaga vesu is the popular one.For more information on Mangalore Dussehra refer Here and Here and Here.Mysore Dussehra is also celebrated on a grand scale where city will be fully decked with lights.
Recipe adapted from:Sharmispassions
Fried gram-1 cup(Huri Kadle dali)
Cardamom powder-1/4 tsp
- Roast the fried gram on low flame for 4-5 minutes until you get a nice aroma.
- Cool it and powder it .
- Powder the sugar and keep it ready.
- Sieve both powdered sugar and Powdered fried gram.
- Melt the ghee.
- Mix all the ingredients together with a clean spatula.
- Make tight laddoos with your hands.
- Once cooled stored it in an airtight container.