After all those sweet goodies,I wanted to prepare something Namkeen.I had decided on preparing this namkeen a year back,but for some reasons couldn't make it possible.Recently I spotted a Boondi maker in Niya Prakash's blog and I craved to have my own someday.Last week I visited Bharath Steel centre,Mangalore and found one.And I inaugurated it today. Boondis can be easily prepared with a perforated ladle too.Last Diwali I had prepared Boondi ladoo with the same.This is one of the easy recipe to be tried.
Recipe adapted from :Sharmis passions
Besan/Chana flour-1 cup
Rice flour-2 tbsp
Chilly powder-1 tsp +1 tsp
Asafoetida/hing- a pinch
Curry leaves-2-3 sprigs(Microwave for a minute)
Cashewnuts-2 tbsp,broken(Microwave for few seconds)
Groundnuts-1/4 cup(I used readymade masala peanuts)
Salt- to taste
Water-as much as needed to make the batter
Oil- to deep fry + 2 tsp oil
- Take a mixing bowl, mix besan,salt to taste,chilly powder,asafoetida,rice flour,2 tsp oil with water.
- The batter should be medium thick like that when you make Bhajias that is of flowing consistency.
- Add water little by little when you make the batter.
- The batter should be perfect,or else there are chances of boondi getting tails.(For few I got tails since I need to practice)
- To check if the batter is fine,take a spoon ,dip the backside of the spoon in the batter and drop it in the hot oil.
- If it forms round boondi then the batter is fine.
- Now take the boondi maker or the perforated ladle,add batter and drop boondis in hot oil with the help of a ladle.
- Cook on both the sides evenly until golden brown and turns crisp.
- Transfer it in a kitchen tissue to remove excess oil.
- Now take a clean and dry mixing bowl,add the boondi,salt to taste,roasted cashewnuts,groundnuts,chilly powder and curry leaves.
- You may also season with mustard seeds.
- If you are using raw groundnuts,deep fry it in oil and then add.
- You may also deep fry cashewnuts and curry leaves.
- Toss all the ingredients together,cool it completely and store it in an airtight container.
- You may also prepare salted plain boondi without adding any spices and seasoning.
- Khara boondi goes best with Bisi bele bath,curd rice etc.