Breada usli/Upkari is often prepared as an evening snack whenever there is leftover bread.But I prepare it for morning breakfast also as it is everyone's favourite at our place.This is a quick fix to satisfy the hungry tummies.This is one of my favourite snack and the best part of this is I enjoy picking the seasonings to eat especially the roasted Urad dal. Normally we prepare this little sweetish but one may adjust the taste as per their likes.As a kid I used to see my Aayi(granny) preparing this for Ajja on Sunday evenings and she used to give me special treatment as it was my favourite.
Bread slices-8-10(cut into cubes)
Grated coconut-3 tsp
Salt- to taste
Sugar-3- 4 tsp approx or to taste
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Urad dal- 1tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Take a kadai,heat ghee,splutter mustard seeds.
- Add Urad dal and saute for few seconds until it turns light brown in color on low flame.
- Now add curry leaves and green chillies and fry for few seconds further.
- Add bread,salt and sugar and toss it well in the seasonings.
- Lastly garnish with grated coconut.
- Relish it with a cup of tea/coffee.