Aloo Bhujiya/Bhujia is nothing but Sev,but prepared with potatoes.It is referred as Bhujiya in the Northern part of India.One of the famous Bhujiya is Bikaneri Bhujiya of Rajasthan.In South India it is called as Omapudi/Sev/Shevo.Please check my Omapudi/Shevo post too which I had posted sometime back.
Recipe adapted from : Jeyashris Kitchen
Besan-1 1/4 cup
Potatoes-2,boiled and mashed well
Chilly powder-1 tsp
Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp
Lime juice-1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil- as much as needed to deep fry
- Mix all the ingredients except oil into a soft dough.
- Once it reaches the dough consistency grease your hands with a tsp of oil and knead it further.
- If you feel the dough is too thin and sticky add little besan.
- Grease the sev maker with the oil,make oblong balls with the greased hands and fill the dough in the mould.
- Heat oil and prepare sev squeezing directly in the oil.
- Fry in low flame on both the sides until golden brown .
- Once the sizzling sound of the oil subsides it indicates that the sev is ready.
- Cool it,slightly crush it with you hands like sev and store it in an airtight container.
- The original recipe called for 1 cup of besan.
- But since my potatoes were sticky I added few tbsp of besan further.
- Greasing your hands with oil before making the ball and filling in the press is very important.
- Repeat greasing your hands with oil everytime you fill the press.