I've been hearing about this burfi past one year but hadn't tried my hand then.Last Saturday I tried Coconut Burfi and Seven cups Burfi from Sharmis Passions.Both came out equally good.Few important things we need to remember are, we have to act quick while preparing this burfi like greasing the dish before hand,switching off the flame at the right time and spreading the mixture very fast. Burfis came out very good but I felt I could have spread the mixture still further for the thinner texture. Nevertheless it became a superhit at our place.This is called as 7 cups burfi because the measurements of the ingredients used here are 7 cups.There is one more similar burfi known as 5 cups burfi.
Recipe adapted from: Sharmis Passions
Carrot-1 cup,grated(or coconut)
Ghee-1 1/2 cups,melted
Sugar-2 1/2 cups
- Grease a square tin or plate and keep it ready.
- Sieve the besan first.
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a thick kadai and roast the besan until you get a nice aroma,and transfer it in a bowl.
- Sieve it again to avoid lumps when you mix all the ingredients.(optional).
- In the same kadai saute carrots until it shrinks and raw smell disappears.
- In a mixing bowl mix the roasted besan,carrot,melted ghee,sugar and milk and whisk it well.
- Transfer the mixture in the kadai and keep stirring it continuously.
- During the first stage the mixture starts bubbling.
- Second stage it leaves the sides of the pan and the colour changes to brown.
- When this change takes place transfer the mixture in the greased tray very quickly and spread it as thick as you want.
- Let it stand for sometime and mark it into desired shapes when it is still warm.
- Cool it completely and separate the burfis carefully.
- Store it in an airtight container.