Varan or Varn is a dal prepared with Moong dal.Usually this dal is prepared on death anniversaries.This dal is my Husband's favourite so I prepare it often for his sake.In Maharashtra it is very commonly known as Varan bhaath which is served with the rice,garnished with little ghee.
Moong dal-1 cup
Salt- to taste
To be ground:
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp(optional)
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Wash moong dal well,add water slightly above its level and take 2-3 whistles in a cooker.
- Once the dal is cooked add salt to taste,green chillies and keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut,cumin seeds and tamarind to a fine paste.
- Add it to the dal,add water and adjust the consistency and take a boil.
- Heat oil for seasoning,splutter mustard seeds,add cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Season it to the dal.
- Serve it hot with rice.