Rulava idli is a idli prepared with Bombay Rawa.This is a popular GSB dish prepared often on the day of Rwath(fasting) when rice is not consumed or on festive days.These idli's are very soft and goes well with chutney.My Amma steams the Bombay rawa in the steamer instead of roasting it so does my Fb friend Vinatha Padma Shenoy who says idlis turn soft due to this method.You may follow any method.
Urad dhal-1 cup
Bombay suji-2 cups
Salt- to taste
- Soak the urad dhal for 5-6 hours and grind it until fluffy.
- Ferment it overnight.
- Roast the Bombay suji until you get a nice aroma without burning it.
- You may also add the suji in a cloth,tie it and steam it in a steamer for 20 minutes instead of dry roasting.
- Cool it,wash it well,squeeze extra water and add to the fermented batter.
- Make the paste out of ginger and green chillies and add it to the batter.
- Add salt and beat the batter well.
- Grease the idli moulds,add a ladle of batter.
- Steam it for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve it hot with chutney.
Labels: Breakfast, Idli