Modak is Lord Ganesha's favourite sweet and coming Monday,9th of September is Ganesh Chaturthi,so I decided to prepare 'Gannus' favourite sweet Modak.Modak is a sweet dumpling where coconut jaggery mixture is used as a stuffing often.It can be either steamed or deep fried.This is very popular among the Maharastrians.There are different methods to prepare this sweet.Last year we had ground boiled rice and had prepared,this year we thought of preparing it instantly like many of them follow.I had read in the several blogs where Idiyappam powder is used to prepare the outer layer of the dumpling,so I tried it for the first time and the result was successful.Modak resembles Dimsums or Momos and somewhat similar.
I always wanted to have a modak mould but I hadn't found it in the place where I lived.So I decided to order it online .Yesterday when I planned to prepare the modaks I wished my modak mould would reach soon.I prepared the modaks manually and when I kept it for steaming, the courier fellow arrives with my parcel and my wish got granted.And without wasting any time I experimented few modaks with the mould,succeeded and I was on cloud 9.Now I wish to have a bigger mould since the mould which I own now is little tiny.
I offered the modaks to the Lord first and then we tasted.I will try to post step by step pictures with the mould very soon.I had clicked few pictures but they are not very clear.Happy Ganesh Chaturthi and Gowri Pooja to all those are celebrating !
Ingredients for the outer covering:
Idiyappam flour or rice flour-1 cup
Salt-1/4 tsp or to taste
Ingredients for the filling:
Godda churna or jaggery mixture- 1 1/2 cups approx (see Here for the recipe)
Add 1tsp cardamom powder to the mixture.
Extra oil-2-3 tsp to grease your palms
Turmeric leaves-2-3 (optional)
Method for the outer covering:
- Boil water along with salt and oil.
- Once it starts boiling add flour little by little and keep stirring until it is combined into a dough and becomes dry and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Transfer it into a wide bowl,press it with a wooden spatula and when it is still warm,apply oil to your palms and knead it well.
- Close the dough with a wet cloth until you use it.
- Add more flour if the dough has become thin or vice versa.
How to proceed:
- Make lemon sized smooth balls from the dough.
- Keep it on your left palm.
- Press it with your right palm and flatten it slightly.
- If you notice the sides are broken and are not smooth,knead the ball again and repeat the step.
- With the help of your fingers shape it like pockets or a cup.
- You should use both your hands to make the depression.
- Now fill a tsp or 2 of churna in the centre of the pocket.
- Bring all the ends together carefully,sealing the top carefully and shape it like modaks.
- It will resemble like white Kisses chocolates or flower pots.
- You may also shape it like dimsums with the pleats.
- Keep the steamer to boil,meanwhile finish with all the modaks.
- Once the steamer is ready line it with turmeric leaves(optional) and arrange the modaks over it.
- Steam it for 15 minutes.
- You may also use the mould to prepare the modak.
Below are the few stepwise pictures.