I have already posted instant version of this pickle sometime back.This is the authentic version which is prepared by grinding the spices.This pickle is often prepared during festive occasions.I adapted this recipe from my Amma.
Long red chillies-15(Roast it in 2 tsp of oil)
Short red chillies-4(Roast it in a tsp of oil)
Tamarind-2 marbles sized
Salt- to taste
Deep fried bittergourd-1 cup(for recipe see here)
To be roasted:
Asafoetida(hing)-2 big pinch(I used Hing paste)
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds-15 seeds
Oil-2 tsp approx
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil and roast Hing and keep it aside.
- In the same oil splutter mustard seeds and Fenugreek seeds and keep it aside along with the hing.
- Powder the roasted chillies.
- Add tamarind,water and grind it to a paste along with the powdered chillies.
- Lastly add the roasted ingredients and grind it further for a minute.
- Transfer it in a vessel,add water,salt to taste and adjust the consistency.
- Take a boil and off the flame.
- Season it with mustard seeds and curry leaves(use the same leftover oil which you used while roasting hing and other ingredients.).
- Cool the masala completely.
- Once it cools add the fried the bittergourd and mix it well.
- You may also add the bittergourd when it is just warm.
- Serve it with the main course.
- Refrigerate it for the future use.