Moodo or Moode is a steamed dumpling which belongs to the idli family.Here, same idli batter is used to prepare the dish which is filled in a specially prepared spirally wound leaf known as kedige or screw pine leaf.The final product tastes so good and the aroma of the screw pine leaf is infused very well .In Mangalore,it is often prepared by most of the locals like GSB's and Bunts.Bunts prepare it especially during Mosarukudike and Marigudi Pooje. They prepare Kori Ghasi as a combination.We,GSB's prepare it often for Sunday breakfast or if any guest visits since it is very filling and tasty.I'm not aware whether moode is available in other places other than South Kanara,may be few places it might be available in Mangalore stores...
In Mangalore it is served in restaurants too and has a great demand.The same dish may be prepared in tall glasses too.I learnt to prepare this dish from my mother.There are specially trained people who prepare this spiral leaf mould.Heard that the screw pine leaves are thorny and one needs to be very careful while handling it.In Mangalore the most common place which we get to see this is Carstreet,famous street where one can see many Konkani's and can find fresh country vegetables,flowers etc.....
Urad dhal-1 cup
Idli rawa-2 cups
Salt- to taste
- Soak urad dhal overnight or for 5-6 hours.
- Next morning wash it and grind it in an electric grinder till it turns fluffy.
- Refrigerate it until night.
- In the night take the batter out,wash the idli rawa and mix it with the ground batter.
- Ferment it overnight.
- You may also soak the urad in the morning and grind it in the evening so that there is no need to refrigerate.
- Next morning fill water in the steamer,arrange the moodo.
- Add salt to the batter and beat it well.
- Fill the moodo with a help of a cup or mug until 3/4 th.
- Steam it for 20 -25 minutes.
- Serve it hot with sambhar or chutney.
Labels: Breakfast, Idli