Brussels sprouts are the replica of a cabbage.They are cute little baby cabbages.Though it is not used much in Indian cooking,the taste is similar to that of a cabbage. I read it recently,it has lot of health benefits too.I had tasted it several times as a kid.Papa used to get whenever he saw any new veggies and fruits. Amma used to prepare stuffed Brussels sprouts in Konkani style.I wasn't aware of its real name until few years back....I tried this dish as suggested by my sister, a year and a half back and liked it very much.For more information refer Wiki.
Recipe adapted from :Showmethecurry.com
Brussels Sprouts-1 packet,400 g (15-20 pieces approx)
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tsp
Urad dal-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Sambhar powder-2 tsp
Red chilly powder-1/2 tsp
Tamarind paste-1/2 tsp
Tomato sauce- 2 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Oil- 2 tbsp
Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
How to clean the Brussels sprouts:
- Remove few top layers of the leaves of the Brussels sprouts and remove the stalk slightly.
- Discard any faded leaves.
- Cut it into two if you want.
- I cut few and kept few tiny ones as it was.
- Heat oil,splutter mustard seeds,add in urad dhal and methi seeds,lightly brown it.
- Add chopped onions,curry leaves and fry till translucent.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and soften them a bit.
- Add all the powders one by one and saute it on low flame..
- Add in the brussels sprouts,salt to taste,add little water,tamarind paste,cover the lid and cook for sometime for around 15 minutes.
- Lastly add tomato sauce and mix it.
- Serve it roti or chapathi.
Labels: North Indian subzis