Alvathi is prepared with colocasia leaves, ginger as the main flavour. This is one of the popular GSB curry.It is prepared specially on the Krishnashtami day.There are few dishes specially prepared on Ashtami like Thoushe Hulel/Ulel,Ashtami laddoo,Alvathi,Chane upkari,chane saru etc.I prepared the curry using hogplums,but you may substitute with tamarind that is add marble sized tamarind while grinding.You may also substitute with Sorrel fruit or bimbul.I learnt to prepare this curry from my Amma.
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
Ingredients for the masala:
Grated coconut-1 cup
Fried short red chillies-2-3
Fried long red chillies-2
- Grind the ingredients mentioned under the list to a fine paste.
- Wash colocasia leaves and chop it roughly.
- Pressure cook the leaves,venti,ginger and hogplums,salt to taste together in a glass of water for 1 whistle.
- Add the masala and take a boil.
- Heat oil,splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add it to the curry.
- Serve it with the main course.