Most of you must be wondering what Narayan Khatar is,well it is nothing but Nan Khatai.Mangalorean GSB's use that term often,still unaware of the fact.I adapted this recipe from Mrs Jaya V Shenoy's cookbook.Jaya mayi is a blessing in disguise to most of us ladies...I'm posting in this corner after a long,long time.I baked 2 versions of Nan Khatai yesterday,both came out equally good.But I was the disappointed with my cooking soda as it didn't give the desired result(I changed the brand).Yes,cooking soda matters a lot.It should be of very good quality.Nonetheless Nankhatai's tasted awesome.Stay tuned for Version 2 Nan Khatai.
All purpose flour/maida-2 cups
Cardamom powder-1/2 tsp
Cooking soda-1/2 tsp
Yellow food colour-1/4 tsp(optional) or Saffron
- Melt the ghee,add powdered sugar,cardamom powder and mix it well.
- Sieve maida and cooking soda and add it 2 tbsp at a time to the ghee mixture.
- Mix it well until all the dough comes together.
- Rest the dough for 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven at 160 Degree C.
- Make balls out of the dough and arrange it in an ungreased baking tray leaving space in between.(I greased the tray slightly)
- Bake it for 20 minutes.
- Store it in an airtight container.