Gulab Jamun is one of the most popular Indian Dessert. Gulab means rose and jamun means fruit.Twist here is, no fruit is used,since it is shaped like the fruit Jamun it it called so.Originally the syrup is prepared with the rose flavour so it is named as Gulab,but normally we prepare the sugar syrup flavored with cardamom or saffron ....This was always in my to do list and I had bookmarked few recipes long back.Oftenly we prepare it from the Instant mix.So when I wanted it to post in my space I wanted to prepare from the scratch...,Not to forget to mention,my Amma prepares the best Gulab Jamun....I had bought Mawa to prepare some other dish,but when I came across this recipe in a food group I immediately prepared this.I adapted this recipe from my Fb friend Rekha Acharya.Rekha is one of the awesome cook I have ever come across.She comes out with great tempting dishes...Thanks a lot Rekha for this tasty recipe.....Goes well with vanilla ice cream.
Maida-3/4 th cup
Cooking soda-1/4 tsp
Milk-1-2 tbsp approx(warm)
Ingredients for the syrup:
Cardamom powder-1/2 tsp
Ghee-as much needed to deep fry(1/2 cups approx)
Pistachios- few,chopped to garnish(optional)
Method for the sugar syrup:
- Mix water and sugar together and boil it well,simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder, mix it and off the flame and keep it ready.
Method for the Jamuns:
- Sieve maida,mix it with Khoa and cooking soda.
- It will appear like bread crumbs when you mix it.
- Now add 3-4 tbsp of the above warm sugar syrup and 1 or more tbsp of warm milk.
- Knead it to a soft dough using more syrup or milk to form it into a soft dough.
- Close it with a lid and keep it aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- After the resting time,knead it again, grease your palms with little ghee,pinch balls from the dough and make it into desired shapes like round or longitudinal.
- See that you make smooth balls and there are no cracks.
- Heat ghee and deep fry it one by one or more adjusting the gas temperature.
- Cook it well on both the sides without burning till golden in colour.
- Add it directly into the warm syrup.
- Soak it well before serving.
- Garnish the chopped pistachios.
- Serve it warm or chilled.
- Refrigerate the remaining gulab jamuns.
Some useful tips:
- When you fry the jamuns in ghee keep it on low flame.
- If you see that the ghee is overheated,off the flame,wait until the smoke disappears and then start working.
- If the jamuns are fried on the high flame,it will get burnt and wont be cooked inside.
- Keep turning the jamuns all over with the perforated ladle to fry it evenly.
- When you are frying the jamuns don't leave the process even for a second.
- You may stuff the jamuns with any chopped nuts before frying.
- You may use oil to deep fry jamuns,but I have not used so far.
- Don't make the balls too big as they tend to increase their size when they are fried and added in the syrup.
- You may microwave the syrup if it has turned cold.
- Don't add the Jamuns in the hot syrup.
- The syrup should be just warm,
- I microwaved the syrup for 2 minutes(it had turned cold), later I added the jamuns in the warm syrup and microwaved again for a minute.
- You may also add rose essence or rose water to the syrup to get the rosy flavour.